When you trust SocietyOne with your personal and financial information, we know you expect us to protect it and keep it safe. We are committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information of individuals with whom we deal.
This document briefly explains the main ways we protect your privacy and how we comply with the National Privacy Principles. It also describes the types of personal information we may collect from you. You can get more detailed information on these matters by contacting us, or by reading the privacy notices we give you when you apply for one of our products.
What personal information do we ask for?
We will only ask for personal information relevant to our relationship with you. So, when you apply as an investor or borrower we may ask for:
· information that identifies you, like:
– your name, address, and other contact details
– your date of birth
· information about your financial position, like
– your financial details – including income, expenses, savings and lending history
– credit reports from credit reporting agencies
– your employment details
· your tax file number
· information about your intended use of our loans.
· When we conduct market research, we may also ask you for your opinion about our products, services or staff. We treat these opinions as personal information.
We only collect personal information about you which is reasonably necessary to:
· provide you with quality products or services
· consider applications and approaches you make to us
· maintain your contact details
· fulfil our legal obligations under applicable laws and rules, such as those relating to Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing.
We do not generally collect sensitive information about you unless required by applicable laws or rules. Sensitive information includes information relating to:
· political or religious beliefs
· sexual preferences
· criminal convictions
· membership of professional or trade associations or unions
· health information.
We may collect health information where we offer an insurance component to our customers. We do not use or share that information for any purpose other than the administration of a customer's insurance application.
We also collect personal information from people who submit applications or register interest for employment with SocietyOne.
How do we collect personal information?
If it’s reasonable and practical to do so, we collect personal information directly from you. We may do this through our application forms, discussions over the telephone, and through the internet.
We may also need to collect personal information from other people. Sometimes this may happen without your direct involvement. Some examples of the people or organisations from which we may collect personal information about you are:
· publicly available sources of information
· market research/comparison organisations
· your representative (such as a legal adviser, financial counsellor)
· credit reporting agencies
· other credit providers
· government agencies
So that we can better tailor information and products to your needs, when we send you email messages, we may use technology to identify you so that we can know when you have opened the email or clicked on a particular link in the email.
If you log into the SocietyOne website we may collect information from you to confirm your identity. When you ring us, we may also monitor and/or record telephone calls for the purposes of staff training and to verify statements made during the phone call.
How do we use that information?
We only use and disclose personal information about you for the purpose for which it was disclosed to us or related purposes which would reasonably be expected without your permission.
For example, we may from time to time use your personal information to inform you of investment opportunities or to provide information about products and services which we expect may be of interest to you. However, we do respect your right to ask us not to do this.
We do not sell personal information to other organisations to allow them to do this.
We may share personal information inside SocietyOne, and may disclose personal information outside SocietyOne:
· as required by applicable laws or rules, such as those relating to Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing
· to service providers in, or outside of, Australia who provide services in connection with our products and services
How do we keep information accurate and up to date?
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that all information we hold is as accurate as is possible. You are able to contact us at any time and ask for its correction if you feel the information we have about you is inaccurate or incomplete.
How you can access your information
You can contact us to request access to your information. In normal circumstances we will give you full access to your information. However, there may be some legal or administrative reasons to deny access. If access is denied, we will provide you with the reason why.
How do we keep information secure?
We use security procedures and the latest technology to protect the information we hold. Access to and use of personal information within SocietyOne is appropriately limited to prevent misuse or unlawful disclosure of the information.
If other organisations provide support services, we require them to appropriately safeguard the privacy of the information provided to them.
So that we can better tailor our information and products to your needs, we use technology known as a “cookie” to collect statistical information about our website activity. A cookie is a packet of information placed on a user's computer by a website for record keeping purposes. Cookies are generally used on SocietyOne sites to:
· manage advertising - we use advertising companies to deliver our online advertising. When you see one of our ads on a third party website, cookies are sometimes used to collect information about what pages you visit and the type of software you are using
· traffic monitoring - we use tracking companies to gather information about how people are using the SocietyOne site, this information includes time of visit, pages visited, and some system information about the type of computer you are using. We use this information to enhance the content and services offered on the site.
Cookies may also be used for other purposes on the SocietyOne site but in each case none of the information collected can be used to personally identify you.
You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is sent.
(Each browser is different, so check the "Help" menu of your browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences).
Dealing with SocietyOne online
If you visit the SocietyOne website to browse, read or download information, our system will log these movements. The web site logs are not personally identifiable and SocietyOne makes no attempt to link them with the individuals who browse the site.
Your account information is password protected and we recommend you do not divulge your password to anyone. To further protect your personal information, your log-in time will automatically expire after a certain period of inactivity.
SocietyOne cannot guarantee or accept responsibility for the privacy practices or the content of web sites to which we provide links.